Thursday 15 November 2012

Lust for time

Well i think every little boy has spend countless minutes pretending their matchbox car could fly, emulating WW2 Spitfire noises, spittle flying in every direction, ants quivering in terror as low diving bombing raids of a toyota corolla hurtled through blades of grass at mach 5. 
Around the age of ten being taken to airshows, beeming at the chance to sit in cockpits, marveling at a sea of instruments laid out like technological caccoons. Terrifying roar of jets, the rich smell of high octane fuel only fine tune details of a dream that began before girls become the favourite theme
A few years past by and puberty set in, I lived in the Lake District in the north of England. RAF Tornado's would straff near the hamlet in which we lived. Trust me it didnt help with my want to fly. 
Jeez im really waffling on. Well i'll cut to the chase, ive been needing a watch and after obsessing over watches online for many weeks (my girlfriend almost knows as much as i do about military watches and James Bond watches now, fancy that) I settled for one.
I wanted something utility, could be smart with a strap change and could handle my next challenge.....snowboarding. But more about snow later. I came across a past MOD (ministry of defence) issue watch for RAF and RN pilots. The civilian issue is cheap, tough and more than military styling its a military issue sibling. What more could a urban wannabe flyboy want?
And to top it off im looking at getting my private pilots license   next year (when spring has kicked in, not a good idea to learn in winter in british columbia. Well here it is on me:

Pulsar PJN299X1

Update: I recieved my new strap from Crown and Buckle, to soften the 'Cold War'look of the watch. I thought it gave it a bit more of a vintage flieger kind of look. This is just a test fitting as I dont have the pin tools to fit the strap. Tell you what, receiving a parcel in the mail never loses its magic, I reckon this is one of the reasons why people love shopping online:

Crown & Buckle oiled leather strap

No comments:

Post a Comment